phone: +1 604 620 9724
Ph.D. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. (Economics)
B.Tech. Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India. (Chemical Engineering)
2011 – 2013 Economist. OECD, Paris, France.
2009 – 2011 Economist. The Conference Board, New York, USA.
2006 – 2009 Program Officer. HSR Group, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
2002 – 2003 Project Leader. Wipro Technologies, Bangalore, India.
1999 – 2002 Analyst. Aztecsoft (now MindTree), Santa Clara, California, USA.
– Quantitative Analysis & Statistical Programming. – Theoretical & Empirical Modeling.
– Constructing Large Datasets (Time-Series & Panel). – Data Mining for Relationships & Trends.
– Evidence & Outcome Estimation Techniques. – Projections, Valuations & Forecasting.
– Comparative Evaluations & Test Scenarios. – Economic Measurement Matrices & Indexes.
Research Responsibilities handled
• Economics Research Updates: Studying various topical research debates. Tracking macro, micro & global economic developments. Presenting implications to the stakeholders.
• Theme-Based Research: Thinking about relevant & important topics. Assembling dataset. Doing theoretical & empirical analysis. Streamlining the results for different audiences.
• Problem-Focussed Research: Resolving specific economic problems. Formalizing the problem. Identifying mechanisms and tradeoffs involved. Using data and existing literature. Suggesting ways (policy implications/ business strategies) to achieve desired objectives.
• Economics Databases and Reports: Creating and updating various economic & other related databases. Writing academic papers, reports & briefs for policy-makers as well as businesses.
• Research Dissemination: Periodic webcasts. Council & delegate meetings. Seminars and conferences. Digital communication (newsletters, interactive dashboards, data websites).
• Building Partnerships: Finding research projects & opportunities. Writing proposals & plans.
Assignments at OECD (2011 – 2013)
• Economic Analysis and Statistics division at Directorate of Science, Technology and Industry.
• Various research projects under Committee on Industry, Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) and Working Party on Industrial Analysis (WPIA).
• Research topics include intangible assets; productivity and competitiveness; policy prescriptions for economic growth; improving economic statistics; managing business cycles & market shocks.
R&D and Program Evaluation projects
• Creating program evaluation framework for research & development activities; based on OECD Oslo manual and EU Community Innovation Survey.
• Modeling and estimating economic benefits of discovery and innovation in various fields:
Biomedical & health, environment & natural resources, information processing, risk & finance, communication networks & security.
• Sector-wise technology and R&D investment strategy. National innovation infrastructure.
• Automating the survey design, data collection, analysis and reporting processes.
• Comparing international innovation landscape (basic & applied research, IP protection/ patents, commercialization, market regulations, diffusion).
• Studying the link between scientific research, labour productivity & competitiveness.
• Impact and performance analysis of R&D tax credits and other related government policies.
Research at The Conference Board (2009-20011)
– World Input Output and Total Factor Productivity databases.
– Impact of information and communication technology on various aspects of world economy.
– Measuring intangible assets. – India Productivity Report.
– Demographic, education & skills patterns. – Identifying economic best practices.
– Forecasting macro-economic and sectoral growth potential & risks for emerging markets.
– Combining financial & economic series into meaningful indices with predictive power.
* Statistical: Stata, Matlab, SAS, SPSS, Shazam, Eviews, R, Mathematica.
* Object-Oriented & Internet: Java, C++, Perl, Python, UNIX Shell, JSP, PHP, XML.
* Enterprise Software: Application Servers. Messaging Frameworks. Multi-tiered Architectures.
* Relational Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL. JDBC/ODBC.
* Business Intelligence/ Analytics: IBM Cognos, SAP Business Objects, Oracle Hyperion.
* IT Tools: Content Management Systems. Single Sign-On. Revision Control. IDEs.
* Methodologies: Capability Maturity Model. Design Patterns. Agile Software Development.
* Other IT Work: System Administration. Support & Troubleshooting. Documentation. QA Testing.
Type of Economic Data worked with
* Price Indexes. Time Use Surveys. Census Data. Labor Market & Skills. Business Cycles. Trade.
* Financial Statistics. Energy & Environment. Raw Materials. Development & Policy Indicators.
* Input-Output Tables. Industry & Services. Stock Markets. Balance Sheets. Business Registers.
* Household Expenditure. Supply Chains. Retails Sales. Longitudinal Surveys. Healthcare.
* Economic Activity Measures. National Account Statistics. Patents & Trademarks. R&D.
Econometric, Data and Financial Tools
* Proprietary Data/Models: Thomson-Reuters DataStream. Haver Analytics. IHS Global Insight.
* Matlab Toolboxes: Financial. Financial Derivatives. Data-Feed. Fixed-Income. Econometrics.
Statistics. Neural Network. Curve Fitting. Spline. Model-based Calibration.
* SAS Data Integration. Oracle Database. SQL. Connector APIs.
* QuantLib. Google Finance API. FPML and FIX. Reuters Foundation and Market Data APIs.
Journal Articles and Working Papers
o Indian Manufacturing Productivity: What caused the growth stagnation before the 1990s? International Productivity Monitor, Fall 2010.
o Recent Productivity Developments in the World Economy, International Productivity Monitor,
Spring 2010; with Bart van Ark et al.
o Comparing Bank Lending Channel in India and Pakistan, Finance India (forthcoming).
o Measuring Quality Change due to Technological Externality in Multi-Feature Service Bundles.
o Technological Progress on Consumption side: Consolidation and Prevalence of Complements.
o Skills Distribution, Migration and Wage Differences in Pure Service-Exchange Economy.
o Optimal Allocation of Physical and Skills Capital in Services Production.
o Inequality: An explanation using State-Utility and Information Asymmetry.
o Indian Economy - TFP or Factor Accumulation: A Comprehensive Growth Accounting Exercise.
Book Chapters, Reports and Other Publications
o The 2010 Productivity Brief: Productivity, Employment, and Growth in the World's Economies. The Conference Board Report, 2010.
o An Analysis of Economic Growth in India: What explains the economic growth surge? VDM Publisher, October 2010.
Academic Conferences and Presentations
o World KLEMS Conference, Harvard University, Cambridge (2010).
o Groningen Growth and Development Center, Groningen, Netherlands (2009, 2010).
o Bank of Canada/UBC Workshop on Macroeconomics & Monetary Policy, Vancouver (2009).
o Southern Economic Association Meeting, Washington DC (2008).
o Canadian Economics Association Meeting, Vancouver (2008).
o Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference, Tacoma (2008).
o UN International Working Group on Price Indices (The Ottawa Group), Ottawa (2007).
o Conference on Industrial Organization, Phelps Centre, Vancouver (2007).
o Frontiers in Mathematics and Economics, Pacific Institute of Mathematics, Vancouver (2006).
o Canadian Econometrics Study Group Conference, Vancouver (2005).
o Annual Meeting of the Canadian Macroeconomics Study Group, Vancouver (2005).
Management and Leadership Experience
o Consulting with Clients. Stocktaking of their Issues/ Requirements.
o Brainstorming for Solutions / Product Features. Designing and Project Planning.
o Setting-up Offshore Development & Delivery. Tracking Progress. Quality Checks.
o Participated in Discussions with Senior Executives about Opportunities & Strategic Directions.
o Facilitated Communication between Different Groups. Writing White Papers, Technical Documents.
o Evaluating Technologies. Conveying Information about their Capabilities and Relevance.
o Project Lifecycle, Processes, Quality Standards, Performance Review of Team Members.
o Sponsorships & Funding: Proposals, Product Presentations, Responses to Quote Requests.
– Competitive Achievements throughout Academic Studies and Professional Career.
– Worked in Diverse Settings: Research, Educational, Large Enterprises, Startups, Non-Profits.
– Demonstrated Flair for Converting Abstract Problems into Tractable and Measurable Matrices.
– Adept in working with Data and Logical Analysis of Numbers.
– Network of Professional Contacts Spanning many Industries, Occupations and Locations.
Canadian Citizenship. Overseas Citizen of India.
Excellent References available on request.