Abhay Gupta- CV (PDF)
phone: +1 604 620 9724
316 – 5725 Agronomy Road, Vancouver, BC V6T 1L9, CANADA.
2013 – Present Chief Economist Empirical Foresights Inc.
2013 – 2014 Adjunct Professor Silberman College of Business, FDU, Canada.
2011 – 2013 Economist OECD, Paris, France.
2009 – 2011 Economist The Conference Board, New York, NY, USA.
2006 – 2009 Program Officer Simon Fraser University, Canada.
2002 – 2003 Manager Wipro Technologies, Bangalore, India.
1999 – 2002 Analyst Aztecsoft (now MindTree), San Jose, CA, USA.
Executive Program, Business School (2016) Columbia University, NY, USA.
Executive Program, Kennedy School (2016) Harvard University, MA, USA.
Ph.D. (2009) University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
M.A. (2004) Lakehead University, Ontario, Canada.
B.Tech. (1999) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.
Advisory Committee Member, ISO-280, Standards Council of Canada (2013 – Now).
Board of Director, X_times_Y Inc. (2013 – Now).
Executive Director, Efficient World (2014 – Now).
Co-Founder, Lunge Systems (2016 – Now).
Independent Consultant at various Expert Networks like GuidePoint, Gerson Lehrman Group, Insight Alpha, Foglamp Research, Primary Insight, MBA & Co etc. (2013 – Now).
Main Job Responsibilities
Global (Economic, Geo-political) Events Updates. Theme-Based Research. Problem-Focussed Research. Dataset Maintainance & Analysis. Writing & Presenting Reports & Briefs. Research Dissemination.
Managing Stakeholder Relations. Strategic Initiatives. Building Thought Leadership.
Publication Series & Scheduled Deliverables
Monthly Newletters: 1. Global Economic Synopsis; 2. Industries and Market Tracker;
3.Governance & Policy Digest; 4. Data Roundup.
Objective Outlook Research Report Series (on macro and micro topics).
Data Significance Indexes & Updates (harmonization, aggregation, weighting, derived indicators).
Inference Maven suite of software tools (modeling, dashboards, datamining, AI/ rules-engine).
Publications (incl. reports): 70+ ; Research Projects: 100+ ; Datasets Built: 20+;
Models Created: 30+; Subscribers (cumulative): 22000+ ; Platforms (software): 15;
Presentations (incl. web): 200+ ; Impact*: $100M+
Reports, Client Projects & Other Publications
Oil and Gas (forecasts, capital projects). Financial Companies (market projections). Private Utilities (demand models). Manufacturing (process optimization, industry structure, pricing strategy). Technology (litigation support). Healthcare & Pharma (policy impact, competitiveness).
Audit and Evaulation
– Creating program evaluation framework for research & development activities.
– Estimating economic benefits of discovery and innovation in various sectors.
– Sector-wise technology and R&D investment strategy.
– Guidelines for national innovation infrastructure.
– Automating the survey design, data collection, analysis and reporting processes.
– Comparing international innovation landscape (basic & applied research, IP protection/ patents, commercialization, market regulations, diffusion).
– Research topics include intangible assets; productivity & competitiveness; policy prescriptions for economic growth; managing business cycles & market shocks.
– Also involved in projects on improving economic statistics; subjective well-being; emergence & impact of global value-chains; trade in value-added, services & tasks; national accounts; science, technology & innovation indicators and scoreboards.
– Framework conditions for comparative advantages using micro foundations analysis.
– Developing standards and guidelines for capitalization & valuation of assets.
– Various inititatives for increasing cooporation with India (govt. agencies).
The Conference Board
– World Input Output and Total Factor Productivity databases.
– Impact of information and communication technology on world economy.
– Measuring various types of intangible assets at firm, sector and macro levels.
– Analysis of industrial productivity in India and role of reforms.
– Demographic, education & skills patterns and their implications for businesses.
– Identifying economic and organizational best practices.
– Forecasting macro-economic and sectoral growth potential for emerging markets and evaluating risks & uncertainities.
– Combining financial & economic series to get indices with predictive power.
Summary of Earlier Projects (1999-2009)
– Human Security Reports (econometric analysis of inter- & intra-state conflict data).
– IT consulting projects involving design, development & implementation of software solutions.
– Worked on industry verticals like banking, finance, insurance, retail, healthcare, high-tech manufacturing, government services etc.
– Projects involved horizontal themes like organizational process automation & improvements; management of external networks (partners, suppliers, clients); computational & communications infrastructure; data analytics etc.
International Finance. Econometrics. Understanding Globalization. International Trade. Cost Benefit Analysis. Economics of Government Regulation of Business. Topics in Industrial Organization. Money and Banking. Intermediate Macroeconomics. Making Sense of Economic Data. Introduction to Macroeconomics. Introduction to Microeconomics. Economic Statistics. National Accounts.
Journal Articles and Selected Working Papers
– Estimating Direct Gains in Consumer Welfare in Telecommunications Sector, Journal of Consumer Policy, Vol. 36, p. 119-138, 2013.
– Indian Manufacturing Productivity: What caused the growth stagnation before the 1990s? International Productivity Monitor, Fall 2010.
– Recent Productivity Developments in the World Economy, International Productivity Monitor, Spring 2010; with Bart van Ark et al.
– Comparing bank lending channel, Finance India, Vol. 25, p. 785-815, 2011.
– Using international input-output tables to predict impact of trade agreements: US-EU FTA.
– Measuring quality change due to technology in multi-feature service bundles.
– Technological Progress on Consumption side: Role of Complements.
– Skills Distribution, Migration & Wage Differences in Service-Exchange Economy.
– Optimal Allocation of Physical and Skills Capital in Services Production.
Book Chapters, Reports etc.
– Doing It Wisely: Using Financial Instruments to Increase Foreign Aid Effectiveness, Global Development Network, Mar 2015.
– The Mystery Behind India's Revised GDP Numbers In Two Charts, Seeking Alpha, Feb 2015.
– Objective Driven Geo-Politics: Leveraging for India’s Economic Gains, Diplomatist, Nov 2014.
– India: Growth vs. Development Agenda, Business Today, April, 2014.
– R&D Capitalisation: Synthesis report about industry level implementation, OECD, July 2012.
– Intangible assets in OECD countries: An Industry Perspective, OECD, November 2011.
– Measuring the Contribution of ICT to Economic Growth. Chapter in The Linked World: How ICT is transforming societies, cultures and economies. Fundación Telefónica, 2011.
– The 2010 Productivity Brief: Productivity, Employment, and Growth in the World's Economies. The Conference Board Report, 2010.
– An Analysis of Economic Growth in India: What explains the economic growth surge? VDM Publisher, October 2010.
Conferences, Presentations and Webcasts
– Benefiting from economic growth in India, Public Seminar, Various Cities (2014).
– Investment Strategy for Portfolio Managers, Public Seminar, Various Cities (2014).
– Expert Panel meeting on Intangible Assets, OECD, Paris (2012).
– Working Party on Industrial Analysis, OECD, Paris (2011).
– World KLEMS Conference, Harvard University, Cambridge (2010).
– Asia Perspective quarterly webcasts, The Conference Board, New York (2010).
– Groningen Growth and Development Center, Groningen, Netherlands (2009/10).
– Southern Economic Association Meeting, Washington DC (2008).
– Canadian Economics Association Meeting, Vancouver (2008).
– Pacific Northwest Regional Economic Conference, Tacoma (2008).
– UN International Working Group on Price Indices, Ottawa (2007).
Management and Leadership Experience
– Consulting with clients/ funders. Stocktaking of their issues/ requirements.
– Setting-up development & delivery plan. Tracking progress. Quality check processes.
– Participating in discussions about opportunities, challenges & strategic directions.
– Facilitating communication between heterogenous units & consensus building.
– Developing protocols like research quality standards, intermediate milestones.
– Performance review of team members. Assessing training needs.
– Competitive achievements throughout academic and professional career.
– Worked in diverse organizational and cultural settings.
– Demonstrated flair for converting abstract problems into tractable matrices.
– Adept in working with data and logical analysis of numbers & results.
– Network of professional contacts spanning many industries, occupations & locations.
Canadian. Overseas citizen of India (OCI card).
Excellent references available on request.
Abhay Gupta – Snapshot of Skills Related to Data Analysis & Modeling
Socio-economic, Business & Other Data
Price Indexes. Time Use Surveys. Census Data. Labor Market & Skills. Business Cycles.
Trade. Energy & Environment. Household & Longitudinal Surveys.
International Financial Statistics. Development & Policy Indicators.
National Account Statistics. Input-Output Tables. Industry & Services. Stock Markets.
Balance Sheets. Business Registers. Patents & Trademarks. R&D.
Econometric & Financial Tools
Thomson-Reuters DataStream. Haver Analytics. IHS Global Insight.
Matlab Toolboxes: Financial derivatives. Data-feed. Fixed-income. Econometrics. Statistics. Neural network. Curve fitting. Model-based calibration.
QuantLib. Google finance API. FPML & FIX. Reuters market data APIs.
SAS data integration. Connector APIs. SDMX (statistical data messaging).
Modeling & Solvers: GAMS. Dynare & Octave. FAME.
Statistical: Stata, Matlab, SAS, SPSS, Shazam, Eviews, R, Mathematica.
Object Oriented & Internet: Java, C++, Perl, Python, UNIX Shell, JSP, PHP, XML.
Application Servers. Messaging Frameworks. Multi-tiered Architectures.
Relational Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL. JDBC/ODBC.
Business Intelligence: IBM Cognos, SAP Business Objects, Oracle Hyperion.
IT Tools: Content Management Systems. Single Sign-On. Revision Control. IDEs.
Markets & Competition; Operations Research & Efficiency;
Regulation & Compliance; Auction, Mechanism & Contracts; Skill-sets & Labour;
Program Assessment; Policy Design; Economic Development;
Intangible Assets & Intellectual Property; R&D Projects;
Risk Management; Pricing & Valuation;
Global Value Chains; Investment & International Finance;
Quantitative analysis & statistical programming.
Theoretical & empirical modeling.
Constructing large datasets (time-series & panel).
Data mining for relationships & trends.
Evidence & outcome estimation techniques. Projections, valuations & forecasting.
Comparative evaluations & test scenarios.
Economic measurement matrices & indexes.